Alexander M. Hagstrom
I work with clients to identify and achieve their goals, whether through litigation or pre-litigation advocacy. Once the client’s goals have been pinpointed, I shut out all outside noise and throw myself into their case wholeheartedly. I relish the challenge of learning each client’s unique case and industry, while working collaboratively and creatively with the client to prepare and present their case in the most effective manner possible. During the better part of a decade that I honed my advocacy skills competing with mock trial teams to national tournaments, working as a legal writing instructor, and serving as a legislative advocate for the University of Minnesota Duluth before state and federal legislators, I discovered that the art of advocacy is of paramount importance.
To each case I also bring a diversity of experience that has given me a unique and well-rounded grasp of the law. In addition to beginning my time in private practice as a litigation “generalist,” my legal career has included interning at a prosecutor’s office, clerking at a public defender’s office, volunteering at the Innocence Project of Minnesota, and spending a year assisting small businesses with setting up and establishing their businesses. Although my legal practice is now focused on “Year 15 disputes” in Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) litigation, I frequently draw on my diverse background of experience from handling a wide variety of commercial disputes, including construction contract and defect litigation, business tort litigation, shareholder dispute litigation, and employment litigation. I also enjoy utilizing these skills to give back to the Minnesota community, litigating pro bono cases ranging from criminal record expungement to tax-related matters. Whatever the case may be, the client will always receive my best work, and I will draw upon all available resources to make the client’s goals a reality.
I also bring a well-informed understanding of the law and the judicial system to each case due to my time serving as a judicial extern to The Honorable Diana Murphy of the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and a judicial law clerk to The Honorable Chief Justice Lorie Gildea of the Minnesota Supreme Court. During those invaluable, behind-the-scenes experiences, I learned firsthand what makes for an effective argument and what does not.
Outside of work, I enjoy finding new ways to learn and to challenge myself, whether it be fitness, golf, or playing guitar. Having grown up in Superior, Wisconsin, I also enjoy the great outdoors, including fishing and hunting.
Education and Bar Admissions
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2015
• Managing Editor, Minnesota Law Review
• Law Council Student Governance
• American College of Trial Lawyers 40th Annual National Trial Competition Regional Champion
• American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy
- University of Minnesota Duluth, B.A. Political Science, summa cum laude, 2012
• Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
• Student Legislative Advocate for the University of Minnesota Duluth
- Supreme Court of Minnesota, 2015
- U.S. District Court, D. Minn., 2016
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Tex., 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2021
- Clerkship, Hon. Chief Justice Lorie Gildea, Minnesota Supreme Court
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Diana E. Murphy, U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Cir.
Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Innocence Project of Minnesota
Publications and Honors
- Co-author of “Report Investigation Findings and Conclusion” Chapter of Handling Internal Investigations: Best Practices for Investigating Alleged Fraud, Bribery, Regulatory Noncompliance, and Other Types of Corporate Wrongdoing. Minnesota CLE. 05.2017
- MSBA North Star Lawyer 2017-2019
Alexander M. Hagstrom
O: (612) 445-8017
M: (218) 428-5866